Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Siblings

I've always known that at some point, Marleigh will start comprehending more about losing her sister.  She will ask more questions, and want to know more about her twin sister, Natalie.

 A few days ago, Marc and I had driven separately out to our friends' house that live in the country.  Kade hopped in with Marc to ride home, and Marleigh got in with me.  We turned and drove by the cemetery.  We have driven by it many times before, but for some reason, that day Marleigh very quietly asked, "Is that Natalie's cemetery?"  I explained that Natalie was at the cemetery out by Garfield, because that is where most of Mommy's family is buried.  Marleigh continued very softly, "I really wish my sister was still alive so that I could have a best friend.  We could color together, play barbies, and dance together.  She'd always be here to be my best friend."  As I was getting choked up, I looked in my rear view mirror to see her eyes welling up with tears as well.

I am lucky.  I have a sister.  We may not have always gotten along perfectly, but I know what an incredible blessing it is to have a sister, a permanent best friend.  There is no one in this world that knows more about me than Shannon.  For that matter, there is probably no one that knows me better than her, either.  There is just a special bond that sisters have.  When I stop and think about it, I can't help but feel so sorry that Marleigh won't get to know that kind of special relationship.

Marleigh, however, has something that I had never had, a brother.  She has a unique and close relationship with her little brother.  They are very much opposites, but it seems to make their relationship work so well.  Marleigh is the more reserved, cautious, and often the leader.  Kade is loud, fearless, and will do anything to make his big sister smile.  They do share one similarity, they are both ferociously protective of the other.  Of course it is different than having a sister, but it is just as special.  Just the other day, while at a birthday party, another mother got my attention.  Marleigh and Kade were walking around holding hands.  The other mom inquired if they always got along that well, and I smiled and replied that yes, for the most part, they do.  They have their moments, as all siblings do, but they are incredibly close and the best of friends.

After gaining my composure, I told Marleigh that I understood and that I would give anything for her sister to still be here with us, too.  I explained that she was lucky, though, to have a little brother and many other friends.  I asked her who her best friend was, and she said with a smile, "My Bubba!  He is so funny and makes me laugh!"   With that, she started chattering about all the silly things her and her brother do, and her carefree, happy little disposition was back.

I know there will always be a void in Marleigh's heart.  A place that is special and reserved for her sister.  There is the same void in my heart, too.  But I am thankful that God blessed her with a brother to fill up the rest of it.




2 comments:

  1. Tears, tears, tears. I love you and I love that sweet girl. You handled it well, mama. Well said.

    Love, Sissy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful!!! Makes me cry and smile all at once. Bubba definitely fills it and I'm SO glad they have each other. God is so good! Love you all--Michaela

    ReplyDelete